Wednesday, October 20, 2010

"Pistachio" headband & neckwarmer

Item: "Cabled Headband"
Pattern: from the book "One-Skein Wonders"
Made for: Me
Time it took to knit: 2 afternoons/evenings, I think
Yarn: Bendigo Woolen Mills Alpaca "Pistachio" #458
Notes: I can't remember for sure, but I don't think I altered the pattern or needle size in any way. It's a little bit loose, I might try experimenting with a smaller needle size later.

Item: "Garter Stitch Loop-Through Scarf"
Pattern: from the book "101 Designer One-Skein Wonders"
Made for: Me
Time it took to knit: Probably 3-4 afternoons
Yarn: Bendigo Woolen Mills Alpaca "Pistachio" #458
Notes: The pattern calls for 3.5mm needles (& 3.5mm DPNs), but with most BWM yarn, 3mm needles & DPNs give a much better tension. This one was knitted with 3mm needles & DPNs & fits beautifully. Also learned while making this one that Alpaca wool is the only yarn that should ever be used for this item as it feels amazing while other wools/yarns tend to feel a bit too rough for some reason. Maybe it's the stitch used, or maybe because it has a more snug fit than a scarf, I don't know, but I strongly recommend only using Alpaca wool for this.

Both items shown here on me. Photo by Dragon Enterprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment